Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Roast Chicken with Potatoes

Assalaamualaikum!

What do you know?!Third post for the day. It is my day off..so…I blogged and of course, pigged out. I really did.

I am a BIG fan of Laura Vitale. I came across her Roast Chicken video and boom..I just had to try making one for myself. I really do. I wanted to make it for yesterday’s potluck but I had a crazy day and my freezer weren’t cooperating with me. So I decided to make one today. YEAY! I’ve always wanted to try roasting a turkey or chicken with fillings but where can I get a Halal turkey? Plus, I never roasted whole chickens ever in my life. EVER! But Alhamdulillah, today’s experiment was a success. Kudos to Laura’s recipe. The chicken was well cooked, tender, juicy, delicious, flavorful…EVERY INCH OF IT WAS DELICIOUS! The buttery taste compliments the tanginess of the lemon. The rosemary and garlic…need I say more?!

Original Recipe: here

Roast Chicken with Potatoes

Roast Chicken:
1 whole chicken (1.5kg)
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons of dried rosemary
1 large onion
3 cloves of unpeeled garlic
1 lemon
Salt and Pepper (to taste)

For potatoes:
2 tablespoons of dried rosemary
3 cloves of unpeeled garlic
3 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and Pepper (to taste)

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit
  2. For the potatoes, in a roasting pan (I used 9x9 baking pan), drizzle the olive oil.
  3. Cut potatoes into 1 inch cubes and add the potatoes into the pan
  4. Also add in the dried rosemary, salt and pepper.
  5. Mix them well and push them to the sides of the pan to make way for the chicken
  6. Slice the onion into 4 big slices and arrange them in the middle of the pan. Set aside.
  7. For the chicken, in a bowl, mix the butter, rosemary, salt and pepper together.
  8. With the chicken (both drumstick) facing you, slowly make your way through the skin at the top of the chicken to create a small “pocket”,
  9. Fill this “pocket”with  ¾ of your butter mixture and slather the rest on top of the chicken.
  10. Cut the lemon in half and insert it in the cavity of the chicken along with the garlic.
  11. Tie the drumsticks together using a kitchen string
  12. Place the chicken on top of the arranged onion slices.
  13. Sprinkle a generous amount of salt (especially) and some pepper on the chicken.
  14. Tuck the tip of the wings under
  15. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. =)

Ingredients

Compound butter




Watch her video to understand the steps better: here. Her chicken is bigger than mine that is why our measurements and baking times are different. Why so few garlic..because I’m out of unpeeled ones.=P

There’s something about this chicken that is FANTABULOUS! When I was cutting it, the juices were pouring out. It’s nicely cooked. Tender and juicy on the inside and incredibly crispy on the outside. It’s amazing how these few ingredients could make such a wow-zaa dinner. It may sound a bit hard because of the steps, but really, once you try it, it’s not as hard as it seems. What’s hard is the waiting. So..snack on something while you wait. It.is.worth.the.wait!



Have fun in the kitchen!You'll have even more fun eating your home cooked meal afterwards!

Happy Sunday!

Wasalam.

Till then, 
Love,

Sofhan Hasni

4 comments:

  1. sofhannn, you should do more recipes like this! I will buy a turkey and try to make one. With Allah's willing.

    And the sobaaa noodle as well.

    sob sob sob. You're very talented. In cooking and baking. lol. takleh nak imagine camne sofhan makan kapkek yg kiteorg buat time before awak fly dulu. Looking through your blog, I feel like, I have insulted you with the cupcakes. Lol.

    Take care sofhannnnn. And I lavhhh youu. And the fooddd. And I miss youuuuuuu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wah. nice recipe. thanks for ur sharing. i will try to make one. hehe

    ReplyDelete