Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Chocolate Cake with Nutella Mousse Filling for our dearest Safaa


Assalamualaikum!

January was a busy month; February would be a lot worse!  Five midterms in the duration of two weeks. DIE DIE DIE! Hah! InsyaAllah, I can DO THIS! I should be doing my linguistics homework/ print notes/choose outfit for MFW/ laundry right now but procrastination is indeed my second middle name. My name should read Sofhan Jameela Procastination Hasni. Lame. I know…Moving on shall we?

On Jan 25th, we celebrated Omar A and Safaa’s birthdays together at Noreen and Sarah’s place. It was great to meet everyone again. Most of us met at Frosh 3 years ago. THREE years ago. How time flies. Some are graduating and perhaps moving on to a different place or I know one of them secured a job in Montréal as a consultant (soo proud!), some are working super hard to get into med school, some are still planning their future and then there’s me, a girl obsessed with cakes. Hah! We decided it was time to get together one more time since the last time we all got together was more than a year ago and who knows when else would we have the chance. *sobs* Okay okay…no more sad stories..Let’s talk about cakes!

Planning a cake for Safaa was easy. I met her before the winter break and told her how I usually give people birthday cakes as gifts. She hinted that her birthday was coming up soon and she likes anything chocolate, especially Nutella (somewhere along that line). That’s very subtle Safaa! At first I thought of making Nutella chocolate cake. However, I’m not sure if the cake is going to taste Nutella-ish as I would like it to be and it hit me, why not make a chocolate cake with Nutella Mousse filling? It was a perfect idea. But .. because the mousse is not exactly a mousse , I could only put a thin layer of mousse in between the layers or It’ll ooze out creating a mess. =( Since the consistency of the mousse is too thin to cover the cake. So I made Nutella butter cream instead. What’s the recipe for the butter cream you ask? I don’t know. To be honest, I couldn’t really remember. I remembered what I put in, but can’t remember the ratio…some other time perhaps..I was rushing to finish the cake, get dressed, pray AND head out.
Even the butter cream was giving me trouble! It was not as smooth as I would like. I felt like giving up! *Cries* But then again, I don’t want Safaa to think I don’t love her enough if I brought a crappy cake or worse..a store bought one *gasps*.  With a little bit of prayers, Ding! Why don’t I crumb some chocolate biscuits and cover the sides of the cake with it? I topped the cakes with some Lindt chocolates. Alhamdulillah. It turned out great!Phew!

Chocolate Cake with Nutella Mousse Filling

I made a layer (halved the recipe) of chocolate cake (recipe here
 Nutella Mousse (recipe here).




See how the Mousse oozes out?Not exactly something you would complain about....

credits to Miss Hanafi

credits to Miss Hanafi

Safaa is one of the people who have truly inspired me. She may be small in size but she has guts. Legit guts. She did numerous bungee jumps, she skydived like nobody’s business, incredibly smart, lovable, dependable and absolutely fearless. All my life I have been scared to try new things or do crazy stuffs and then I met this girl. Soft spoken and polite and bam (!) missed a day of Frosh to join the white water rafting. Say what? Ask her about her school breaks and I could assure you that you would be blown away with her stories. When I saw her boldness to do so many things without breaking a sweat, I asked myself, if she could be that brave, why can’t I? So from then on, I took down some of the invisible walls around me that are not protecting me from harm but preventing me from enjoying life. Safaa if you’re reading this, Happy Birthday again! Lots of love! All the best for your last semester and good luck in your future endeavors. Go ahead and conquer the world, we all know that you are capable of doing just that! *HUGS!*

If you are wondering why I keep on using the word Ding, Phew, Bam, Wobdedoos and what not, the way I write in my blog is the same way as I speak (minus the weird frantic hand gestures and facial expressions that comes with it). =D

Wasalam.

Till then,
Love, 
Sofhan Hasni

No comments:

Post a Comment