Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Classic New York Cheesecake with Mixed Berry Topping/ Marble Chocolate Cheesecake



Assalamualaikum!

I remembered the first time I made cheesecake. It was for Eid when I first got here. When I first got here I didn't really know how to cook. I would go on Google and search for recipes (still do) and go to Loblaws after school and try make a decent meal out whatever I bought. We were ambitious. I was at least. Kuew Teaw (I still don’t know how to spell it) Hong Kong la, Tomyam from scratch la, apple strudles  la..and of course..cheesecake. I finally tried making a cheesecake again about a month ago and made another two on Thursday and Friday. Again, these cakes are made for a birthday. A special someone who is devoting her life for charity work. She is none other than our bonda in Montreal, Auntie Sabria. Illya and I stayed at her place when we first got here. She is always on her feet cooking for shelters, homeless people, weddings, iftars, Islamic gatherings and the list goes on. She is well known in Montreal for her contribution and of course, her big heart!

Auntie Sabria loves cheesecake, so for her birthday celebration with MSA McGill, I decided to make her a cheesecake. Since a lot of people were coming, I was told to make two cakes. Mind you, I have NOT mastered the art of making a crack-less cheesecake. My springform pan is too big for my roasting dish thus I can’t use the water bath system. Oh well.. I’m not sure if that would stop these cheesecakes from cracking. It’s really puzzling when a website tells you NOT to open the oven door as the cold air would somehow make the cake crack while other sites tells you that you should take it out immediately or some would say use water bath, some say you don't, some say check your oven….Whaaa? I really think we should have a Global Cheesecake Conference to actually come to an agreement and stop confusing clueless newbie baker like I am. Oh stahp!

I made a classic new York cheesecake with two different variations! Yeay!
Original recipe here
Classic New York Cheesecake

1 ¼ cup of finely crushed graham crackers
¼ cup of melted butter
¾ cup sugar
1 kg of creamcheese (4 packages)
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 eggs

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degree Fahrenheit (300 degrees if using a dark nonstick springform)
  2. Spray the insides of a 9-inch springform. Set aside
  3.  In a bowl, mix the crushed graham crackers and melted butter together. Press firmly on the bottom of spring form.
  4. Bake for 10 minutes and set aside.
  5. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar together until well combined.
  6. Add in the sour cream and vanilla and continue mixing.
  7. Add in the eggs into the mixture. One at a time.
  8. Pour the mixture on to the baked crust and bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour.
  9. Turn off the oven and let the cheesecake rest in the oven for another hour with the oven door slightly ajar.
  10. Refrigerate for a couple of hours.

 You’ll see that by this time, the middle part of the cheesecake would still be jiggly. But really, it’s done. It’ll firm up once it cools. And yes. I kid you. You are DEFINETLY welcomed to dig right innnn!Do it..I won't judge..


   












Mixed Berry Topping

¼ cup of strawberry jam (or any berries)
1 tablespoon of water
Strawberries and blueberries (Or any of your choice)

  1. Mix the jam with water and heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
  2. Spread the jam over the top of the cheesecake.
  3. Arrange the berries on the jam.










 Chocolate Marble Cheesecake

½ cup of melted chocolate

  1. At step 8 (refer to NY cheesecake above), add dollops of melted chocolate in the cheesecake batter.
  2. Using a knife or bamboo skewer, swirl the melted chocolate around the batter to create a marble effect.
  3. Put in oven as stated in previous recipe.

  



Oh hello Grand Canyon!

Err.could this pass as art?=P

Sorry this photo is extra bad. had to rush to deliver these babies!
 
Since the marble cheesecake cracked, I melted some more chocolate and filled in the cracks. I then refrigerate it for about an hour to let the chocolate set. Teehee.

The cheesecakes were absolutely delicious! Oh wait! I didn't try the marble chocolate one. Oh well, I hope it tested great too. Hihi. Making cheesecake are definitely easy BUT, tedious if you want to make it EXACTLY perfect! If I’m eating on my own, I wouldn't mind if there’s a Grand Canyon in the middle of my cheesecake. HECK! It’s cheesecake for God sake!


Okay. Now I’m hungry..=.=’

Goodnight Lovelies!

Wasalam.

Till then,
Love,
Sofhan Hasni

No comments:

Post a Comment