Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Classic French Apple Tart


Assalamualaikum!

I need a break. I really do. I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE HOLIDAYS! I wasn't joking when I tell you that October had been a crazy month in Montreal! Cray Cray!A 4.5 scale earthquake and Hurricane Sandy warning. Never being involved in a natural disaster myself I was pretty scared. Wait. REALLLY SCARED. I was about to go to the bathroom when the earthquake happened. It felt like my building was about to rumble. There was a loud noise that came with it. I didn't pee in my pants though. We were never taught about the safety precautions during natural disasters. Especially these kinds of unpredictable disasters. I didn't know what to do. Should I hide under the desk? Should I run outside? Everyone seemed to be on their Facebooks. Is that one of the precautions I should take? Update my status straight away? AHA!

This week, Hurricane Sandy hits the east coast of the US and predicted to move up to Toronto and Montreal. On Monday, I was a bit distraught and I felt like baking. So I went to the store and bought apples. On my way out, I saw boxes and boxes of bottled water. It was 2 boxes for 5$. I was like.. ”Oh,this is cheap!” and walked away. A hurricane was on its way and there was a possibility of water shortage, it still didn't hit me. I’m so smart sometimes I feel like smacking my own head.

I watched this video on Youtube: here. Ever since, I DREAMT about making that pie. It’s crazy! A girl like me who is crazy about flowers and anything French, I knew I JUST HAD TO make it. However, I didn't use the recipe on Youtube. after I made mine, I realized there are some changes that I need to make.It's sooo easy I couldn't believe it myself.So here is my take on Classic French Tart.
P/s I used a store bought pie crust.:) You can use this crust recipe:here. Half the recipe though!

Classic French Apple Tart

Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahreheit

Apple Compote
2 Macintosh apples
1/4 -1/3 cup of brown sugar (depends on the sweetness of the apple)
1/4 cup of orange juice
1/4 cup of water
A pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

  1. Peel,core and cut the apples
  2. Put all of the ingredients in a saucepan
  3. Using medium heat, let it simmer and thickens.
  4. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the apples are tender.
  5. Using a fork or masher, mash the apples finely.
  6. Let cool. Note: if there is too much liquid, feel free to toss some out.
  7. Spread evenly on top of crust.


Toppings
1-2 Macintosh apples
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 tablespoon of butter

  1. Peel core and slice the apple thinly. Very thinly.
  2. Arrange each slice nicely on the top of the apple compote starting from the sides and continue inwards.
  3. Using a pastry brush, brush the apples with softened butter
  4. Sprinkle the sugar on top.
  5. Bake for 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.









Optional: Dilute some strawberry jam with water in a microwave and brush lightly on apples to give it a shiny look!




The top part is the WOW factor.Apples are in season so you definitely have a good reason to make this tart!You'd be surprised at how easy,pretty and delicious this tart is. Winter is definitely around the corner. Treat yourself to something delicious and fancy.Like this tart over here.I know I did.Oh, ice cream on the side wouldn't harm either;)

Take care!
Wasalam

Till then,A bientot,
Love,
Sofhan Hasni 

No comments:

Post a Comment