Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Vanilla Buttercream Icing



Assalamualaikum!

Finally!I finally have internet at home! Oh how did I live without it before? I don’t need it when I have friends around but when you live alone with your cat, you’re bound to get lonely. Really. I was telling myself I should be memorizing the anatomy of the brain and finish my readings for PSYC 311 but still, I used my phone every now and then to check my twitter, Facebook and email.(Macam-macam dunia sekarang..sigh)

I have been religiously posting this and that and I really really want to write something tonight. Although there are other few things that I’d love to write about, it’ll take time. So I was thinking of something that I’d like to share but won’t take much time to write. Ding Ding Ding!I was like, why not write about the Vanilla Buttercream Icing that I did the other day?!

So my friends held an all girls party at their place and I volunteered to bake cupcakes for them. But since I got the confirmation for the party the night before and I have class the next day, I didn’t have time to rush to the store and get some other stuffs that I need to make funky cupcakes. Even then, I don’t have any solid ideas in mind anyways. So I opted to make the buttercream icing with the usual chocolate cupcakes. But then I was thinking, what KIND of buttercream icing would people like? There are endless kinds of buttercream icing. For me, I’d love coffee icing! Chocolate icing would be too much for a chocolate cupcake and I don’t like citrus-y flavors with chocolate. So I settled on Vanilla Buttercream Icing. To make them a lot more fun, I piped them nicely and sprinkled colored coconut flakes on it.


Vanilla Buttercream Icing
1 cup of softened butter
2 ½ cup of icing sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
2 tablespoon of milk
Coloring 
  1. In a mixing bowl cream the butter until light and fluffy
  2. Add sugar ½ cup at a time and mix slowly until they are well blended,
  3. Add in the vanilla essence and milk.
  4. If you want to add color, separate equal amount of icing in glass or metal bowls (plastic bowls might absorb color)
  5. Add drops of coloring until you get the color that you want.
Coconut flakes sprinkles
1 tablespoon coconut flakes
A dash of salt
Coloring 
  1. In a ziplock bag, add a tablespoon of coconut flakes and a pinch of salt.
  2. Add a drop or two coloring.
  3. Zip it and shake well. If the color is too pale, add more and repeat previous steps.
Decorating cupcakes
You could simply use a spatula or butter knife tu spread it on your cupcakes or you could pipe them instead.
I used different contrasting colors for my icing and my coconut flakes and they look..KIH-YUT! (angkat bakul!)

Butt-ah!




My blue looks greenish...=(

Salted coconut flakes


Pink ones

Blue ones





The pink and blue theme is to match the cute cupcake cups!It's so cute!I swear!:)
Some of the icings weren't that perfect.Why? Me being a Jinnyus (pronounced as genius), didn't bring my piping bags with me and used ziplocks instead.So they kept on bursting.It was a delicious mess I tell ya.=___='
Oh if you're on a diet.DON'T MAKE THESE.I calculated the calories and pftt an icing,just the icing for a cupcake could be up to 200 cals.AYAYAYAY!
So take care of yourself and those you love!

Till then,Bonsoir,
Love,
Anggerik

1 comment: