Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing


Assalamualaikum!

Munie is HERE! First thing we did was Juliette et Chocolat. As usual!=)
I love Rue St. Denis. I just do!

It has been a slow holiday break for me. Spending my days watching Dr. Phil shows (I know), movies, or experimenting in the kitchen!:)

Latest experiment was sugar cookies with royal icing! After I saw the cookies made by Sweetambs I had an epiphany. I JUST HAD TO TRY MAKING THEM! One thing I’ve learnt from baking these cookies was that, although sugar cookies required very minimal ingredients, I had to be patient in freezing, rolling, freezing the dough again. Not to mention the decorating part. One layer, dry, another layer, dry. Drying itself might take up to 24 hours. Oh boy.. Patience was ABSOLUTELY needed in making these beautiful cookies.

Original Recipe: here
Sugar Cookies

3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

  1. In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Add eggs and vanilla extract until well incorporated.
  3. In another bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, salt.
  4. Add the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until you have a smooth dough.
  5. Divide the dough in half and wrap each in a plastic wrap. Refrigerate for an hour or until firm enough to roll.
  6. Preheat oven to 350 degree F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
  7. Remove one half of chilled dough and roll it out to a thickness of ¼ inch (1cm) on a well floured surface.
  8. Cut out desired shapes and place on cookie sheets.
  9. Put the cookie sheets back in the fridge for another 15 minutes.
  10. Bake cookies for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown depending on the size.



Royal Icing
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 cups confectioners’ (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted

  1. Beat the egg whites and confectioner’s sugar.
  2. If it is thicker than it should (using the 10 seconds rule), then add lemon juice one teaspoon at a time.
Have fun decorating the cookies!















I tried the lace flower ones and as you can see, they weren't as pretty and neat as it should be. So I ended up making polka dots instead. Why do I have only 3 small heart shaped cookies you may ask? I ate one and had four left. Then I forgot and ate another one. Yeap…=.=’

In all honesty, will I try making them again in the future? We’ll see. I don’t really fancy these kinds of cookies but I figured decorating them would be fun. Indeed it was. It sure tests my patience but still.Although it takes such a long time to make them, these cookies tasted like…well..sugar cookies. Even if you take two minutes to ice it, it’ll taste the same with the ones that takes you 20 minutes o decorate. These cookies are definitely eye candies rather than being out-of-the-world-oh-my-God-are-you-kidding-me delicious cookies.

Snow was pouring like there’s no tomorrow. The weather outside is cray cray. Reaching -12 now. COOOOLLLLLDDDD! Brr. I’m a summer baby, I don’t do snow. I just don’t

Happy New Year everybody! It’s time to look back at this year’s resolution and see how much have you improved before setting new ones!:)
 

Till then, Wasalam.

Love,
Sofhan Hasni.

No comments:

Post a Comment