Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Huevos Rancheros


Assalamualaikum!

I love food.Breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner…you name it! Living in Malaysia and having a Kelantanese father sure changed the way I look at breakfast. I need A BIG HUMNOGOUS breakfast. We don’t only eat Nasi Lemak for breakfast, but we also eat nasi berlauk with ikan gulai and sambal, nasi kerabu with barbequed meat and also nasi dagang with ayam gulai for breakfast. I don’t do oats and cereal. I’ll get hungry again soon after..I am the kind of person who would dream/think about what I’ll have for breakfast the next day. Breakfast is definitely something that I look forward to once I get up.

I followed Joy the Baker on Facebook and Hilah Johnson on Youtube. Both of them made something quite similar which was salsa and eggs for breakfast or something called Huevos Rancheros. Yumm-o. Awhile ago I bought a bottled mango and lime salsa to eat with nachos. It’s a bit too sweet to my liking. However I can’t waste it by throwing it away. So for me, this is a win-win situation. I get to use my salsa and enjoy a delicious breakfast! Traditional Huevos Rancheros requires taco shells. Since I don’t have any, I used toasted bread instead.=)

If you don’t have any salsa on hand, you could always make your own. Head on to the original recipe to make your own. Original recipe here

Huevos Rancheros 
For 1 person
  
3 tablespoon of store bought salsa
1 tomato
1/4 of onion
1 garlic
Chili powder as desired
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoon of oil
1/2 teaspoon Butter
1 Egg
1 Taco/toast
Cheese and scallions for garnishing (optional)

  1. In a pan, sauté the onion and garlic on medium heat
  2. Add tomato and cover the pan for a few minutes
  3. Once the tomato softens, using the back of your spoon crush the tomato
  4. Add salt, pepper and chili powder
  5. Gather the salsa mixture to the middle of the pan and create a well at the center of the mixture
  6. Dollop butter in the well and crack an egg into it
  7. Cover the pan for 3-5 minutes or depends on the egg constancy of your liking
  8. Serve on a piece of toasted taco or bread
  9. Garnish with cheese and scallions


My picture is obviously not as pretty as Hilah’s! I was on the phone the whole time with mummy. I was too hungry to actually wait for the conversation to finish to snap a proper picture.



Till then, Wasalam.

Love, 
Sofhan Hasni

No comments:

Post a Comment