Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Chow the Chowder!

Assalmualaikum!

I'm sorry for the hiatus.To be honest, I don't really do much at home.I'm still waiting for any intership offers or any job offers for that matter.InsyaAllah..I didn't cook much either.I mean..I'm at home and mom cooks great food..why bother?hehe..but i did save a few recipes that i wanted to share..

One of them is Fish Chowder. We had fish fillets hanging around in our freezer that was demanding my attention..so i googled the recipe.What i've learnt about chowders is they are very versatile.I mean, you can use any kind of fish or seafood,any kind of vegetable and any kind of base.Not having all the ingredients for any specific recipes,i do what i do best: CREATE MY OWN =)

Sole Fish Chowder
About 300g of fish fillet
1 medium onion
1 large potato
Half of a carrot
A bunch of parsley
3 tablespoon of butter
3 tablespoon of flour
3 cups of milk
1 cube of chicken stock
pepper,chili flakes and Italian seasoning to season
2 or more tablespoon of olive oil


  1. Chop everything into cubes and small pieces.Not too small for the fish though!
  2. Pour the olive oil into a pan and fry the veggies until they soften.(Fry the onion,potato and carrot first as they need more time to soften)
  3. When the veggies are slightly mushy add in the fish and parsley(if you like your chowder to be all crunchy,by all means,lessen the frying time.Plus,be careful when stirring as the fish might fall apart,you don't want flakes in your chowder do you?)
  4. Season them with pepper and Italian seasoning
  5. Put them aside.I used the same pan as to let the chowder collect or absorb (pardon my lack of vocabulary) the flavors from the fried vegetables.Melt the butter and add the flour then the milk (yes, we're making a roux again,If its too think add more flour,if its too thick,add more milk.).
  6. Add the chicken stock and stir.
  7. Add the fried veggies and season the chowder with chili flakes (I still don't have paprika)
  8. Let it simmer and you're DONE!
Ingredients for roux
Veggies and fish

Fried veggies and fish

TADAAAA!

For other varieties,
instead of making a roux,you could use creamed corn to make the base and add milk.Clam and prawns chowder would be yummy too!How about adding in some celery?YUMMMMMM!

It super easy and super yummy.Although i must say that by adding the chili flakes makes it slightly Malaysian which i don't really like it.It didn't go that well in my opinion although my friend LOVES IT.Try using paprika.I would next time.

Till then Salut,
Love,
Anggerik

No comments:

Post a Comment