Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Montreal Fall/ Winter Fashion Week 2012

Assalamualaikum

This is a long overdue post..
Last February, (yeap, I said February) Sarah Hanafi and I went to the Montreal Fashion Week. Such a fun experience! After weeks of hard work in school, it was fun to let our hair/hijab down for one night. Teehee. I didn’t even know that Montreal holds a Fashion Week every year! So Sarah and I decided to make this event our “bonding time” every year. Oh boy oh boy! If you have never met Sarah, you should.
From: Belle de Nuit
Boy don’t I love clothes, shoes and bags! When I was younger, I wanted to be a supermodel. I know. I know. Say what?! I would do catwalks in the living room, playing with my mom’s scarves, shoes and make ups. I LOVE IT ALL. As you can see, the plan didn’t work out for me. I stopped growing taller at the age of 15?16? In the runway world, I’m short. Remember the ANTM where they bring in “short” models? They’re my height. But even if I’m taller and skinnier (and prettier?), I don’t think I would be a supermodel. Parading my body for the world to see, doesn’t scream the word modesty! Oh well..Last time I moved from my apartment, I have one whole box of bags and a big gigantic black plastic bag just for my shoes! Don’t blame me, blame the genes! It’s in the blood I’m sure. My father loves bags and shoes too. Really. I think he has more shoes than my mom.

To be honest I’m not too familiar with the whole Canadian fashion scenes. Sarah on the other hand had been religiously watching Fashion Television since she was young! I was clueless. Absolutely clueless. I don’t know which show to go to as I don’t know the designers’ styles. In my opinion, to enjoy the runway show, it is important to understand the designers’ styles and motives, to really enjoy the runway show. Then only you could relate with the designs that were being displayed. Anyways, I let Sarah choose which show to go to. Easy.
We ended up going to Martin Lim’s event. Fun fun fun! Check out their designs at their website : Martin Lim

Their designs were simple and sophisticated. A lot of dresses I tell ya. To be honest, I really think that some of their designs have some Salwar Kamez influences. With the knee length dresses and skinny pants to go with it. I’m just saying. Are they wearable? Definitely. Anyways, my favorite would be their white dress ( no surpise!). I have an obsession with flowy dresses! OBSESSION!

They played with color blocks in most of their pieces to create a sense of boldness. It worked! Pairing black statement lines with delicate fabrics was a great idea. It controls the flowy-ness of the garments.
Their makeup and hair do was very minimal. Red lips and high bun hairdo, in my opinion, compliments their designs.
 (Why is there no pictures of the runway and designs? Refer to number 3 below.Pictures were blurry.)

So what did I learn from that event?
1) Plan your outfit/ gadgets daysss ahead.(especially when you have exam the week before or ehem, the DAY before the event).I was studying Behavioral Neuroscience AND ransacking my closet to fine something nice to wear. Not fun!
2) Do a research on the designers!
3) Learn how to use a DSLR. Jakun trang tang!

So me, being unprepared for the event and pretty much penny-less from the move, I had to find something in my closet. I settled for an all-white outfit. I paired my white chiffon skirt with a white blazer. I don’t want to look like a walking ghost in the middle of Old Port, so I out on some black chunky bracelets that matches my black clutch. Since I don’t know anyone with my shoe size who owns a pair of killer black boots, I settled on my own dark brown ones. When I say killer, I don’t really mean killer heels. If that’s the case, I’d be falling flat on my face every 6 feet or so and my white outfit..won’t be white anymore.


Sarah and I dolled up and RUSHED to Marche Bonsecours. It was crazy. She had a tutorial until 6 (if I’m not mistaken). It was funny to have people looking at you for being overly dressed for a metro ride. They knew for sure that we weren’t on a date because if we were..ehem..we’d be taking cabs instead?The whole event was madness!People were lining up,everyone was checking everyone out. It was ridiculous. People from the press, magazines, and fashion bloggers were all there. It’s like watching Devil wears Prada, LIVE! Great, great experience! I can finally cross a “watching a runway show” off my list. Been there, done that. Do it again? Oh oui,oui!sil vous plait?

What shall I wear next time?

Oh. Just looked at the trends for next fall. Three words baby, Love,Love,Love!



Wasalam!

Till then, Salut,
Love,
Anggerik

No comments:

Post a Comment