Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Sweet as sugar!

Assalamualaikum.


So as people can see,I still have my post midterm stress.So I do what I do best.Bake.
I've been wanting to make a pie since a few weeks ago but I just didn't have the time for it.I tried making Pumpkin Pie last week which didn't taste as good.For that pie,I bought the ready made graham cracker pie crust from the Super Marche.This time however,I got to make my own.Oh!The feeling of butter melting in your hand mixed with the soft texture of flour and the coldness of the water.Bliss.Its delish too.A big portion of it ended up in my mouth even before it went into the oven.OHOH!
One of my housemates LOVES sugar pies and since I've never made them before,why not try it?Its super easy.If you love to baek as much as I do,I'm sure you'll have all the ingredients in your pantry:)


Sugar Pie
Crust
1/3 cup Butter
1 cup flour
pinch of salt
2 -3 tablespoon of cold water
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. Mix flour,salt and butter in a big bowl.(If you have a pastry cutter,by all means, I don't think you need to go through this,serious those who owns pastry cutters are serious about baking,I don't have one yet not because I'm not serious,but its expensive here=D)
  3. Use a knife (or pastry cutter) to cut the butter in small pieces in the bowl.You can use fork to mix them all together until its crumbly.(Being exposed to the arts of karipap making,I prefer using my hands,as mom says that,that's how you spread the love in your cooking)
  4. Add water little by little until all flour is moistened and pastry almost leaves the side of the bowl.
  5. Gather pastry into a ball. Divide it into two balls and wrap it in a cling wrap.
  6.  Let it firm up in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  7. The FUN PART!After 30 minutes..On a lightly flowered surface,using a rolling pin (you can use any kind of cylindrical objects, spray oil can works for me,I'm telling ya,baking supplies here are not cheap) roll the pastries into a circle with 2 inch extra depending on the size or your pie plate.
Sugar Mixture


1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup butter 
a dash of vanilla extract
  1. Mix everything well.
  2. Pour the mixture in the unbaked pie shell
  3. Decorate the top of the pie with the remaining dough from the crust.(I MADE HEART SHAPES!CUTE!)
  4. Bake pie for 35 to 40 minutes.
Untrimmed pie crust
Sugar mixture

Yes my crust is a bit messy

I shouldn't have inserted a butter knife into the pie.=(
It tastes SOOOOOO GOOOD.minus the fat/sugar part.That can I say,its the best remedy for frustration with exams.Kidding!One thing to note here is that the top of the crust is firm and breaks easily.(Not on all part of the pie though).Also,my dough is super flaky.It tastes good but yes.super flaky and the strips were super flimsy.That explains the messiness of  top crust.The hearts looked good though.So i'll be doing only little hearts next time to add more loveee!The finals are coming up,lets try our best!I have 2 Economic Papers in the same day.YEAY!not.On the bright side I'll finish my papers on the 15th insyaAllah!For the past 2 semesters,I finished my paper on the last day of examination.DO you know how hard it is to see people jumping up and down and you're still stuck memorizing the meaning of keywords for Islamic Civilization class?Sad.=/

Sigh.Back to reality.

Take care!Wasalam.

Till Then,Salut,
Love,
Anggerik.

2 comments:

  1. Asalamualaykum baby.

    You have pre and post midterm stress. Do you know that? Haha. Your cooking look so delicious. One day I will come to Montreal and you will treat me with your awesome home made delicacies.

    Miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waalaikumusalam!

    Of course.Been there,done that!13 years of schooling!When are you coming?:(InsyaAllah i'll try to cook something for you then.:)

    You take care baby!Loves!

    ReplyDelete