Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Egg Tarts

Assalamualaikum

I am so happy that I got to finish two books in a about a week time. I haven’t done that for a long long time. I miss those days when I can finish a book in a day or two. I should go to the bookstore soon and pick out a couple of books to read before I start looking for a summer job. Can’t wait!

Let’s focus on food now shall we? I LOVE LOVE egg tarts! I mean who doesn’t?! I have no idea how Cantonese or Hong Kong or Taiwanese egg tarts differ. I mean, I found recipes using puff pastries and some used pie dough as base. Hurm..oh well. They are still egg tarts in the end!  

I found an easy recipe here and decided to sell them during the South East Asian night.  As usual, I bought the readymade crusts from Provigo because I would never have the time nor patience to make about 100 tart shells. No!No way.

Egg Tarts
3 eggs
½ cup of caster sugar
1 cup of hot water
1/3 cup of milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

  1. Whisk eggs with milk until well incorporated. Set aside.
  2. Pour the hot water in a bowl or cup and add sugar. Mix until dissolved.
  3. Pour the hot water into the egg mixture little by little. Mix well after each addition.
  4. Sift egg mixture to get rid of any foam. Carefully pour egg mixture into each tart shell.
  5. Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit. Position oven  rack in lower third of the oven. Bake tarts for 10 to 15 minutes until the edges are lightly brown.
  6. Lower the heat to 350.Once the custard puffed up a bit, pull the oven door ajar.
  7. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until the custard is cooked through.
  8. Just insert a toothpick into the custard. If it stands on its own, it’s done.






All I have to say is.. adding some whipping cream on top would not hurt anybody. Really.

Wasalam.

Till then, Salut.
Love,

Sofhan Hasni

No comments:

Post a Comment